PAN or Permanent Account Number is one of the necessary documents for financial transactions. It is an alphanumeric code allotted to individuals by Income Tax department, Govt of India, and is used for various purposes – from investing in mutual funds to opening a bank account.
It becomes important to fill your PAN card application with great care to avoid incurring the charges of getting it rectified or furnishing wrong information at important places.
The most common mistakes that can be avoided are:
1. Incorrect Signature: This is one of the few important things to keep in mind while filling up any form. In your PAN application, there are two places where the applicant has to sign –
- across the photo
- in the space provided at the bottom
Signing elsewhere other than the allotted spots can result in an error which would need rectification.
2. Enter Name Correctly: On your PAN card application, enter your last name/surname in the first column and your first name in the next column. Writing your name erroneously can lead to discrepancy in the card.
3. Signing in Blue Ink: While most government identity forms need to be signed in black ink, many don’t adhere to it. However, at the time of filling your PAN application, it is essential to stick to the rules. Sign in black ink to avoid any delays in receiving your PAN card, as this would also require modification.
4. Using Initials: Refrain from using initials of your name while filling the PAN card application. Instead, use full names as the Income Tax Department doesn’t accept initials.
5. Scanned copies of photos: PAN card application requires two passport-sized photographs to be affixed. Make sure the photographs are pasted and not stapled or clipped.
Steps to Amend PAN Card Information
It is advised that you recheck the information entered by you before submitting the application. However, if you have filled wrong information accidently, you can get the changes made to your card by paying a nominal fee. Here’s how you can correct it:
Step 1 – Fill the online application form for making changes/corrections in PAN on the NSDL website: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correction.html.
Step 2 – Pay the amount charged for the changes via net banking, debit card, or credit card – Rs. 93 (excluding GST) for Indian communication address and Rs. 864 (excluding GST) for communication address outside India.
Step 3 – Paste your photograph on the application form and cross sign it.
Step 4 – Consolidate your ID, address and date of birth proofs.
Step 5 – Mail the filled application form to the UTI or NSDL address along with consolidated documents and a copy of your old PAN Card.
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411016
Changes through UTIITSL
Corrections for PAN can also be made through the UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited (UTIITSL) website – https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/panonline_ipg/forms/csfPan.html/csfPreForm. Fill in the right details and pay the fees. A receipt is generated which can be used as reference. The updated PAN card will be sent by post to the address mentioned in the form by the applicant.