The Food Safety and Standards Authority (FSSAI) is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. The FSSAI is responsible for advocating and protecting public health by ensuring implementation of food safety standards on a state level.
FSSAI works with the aim to:
- lay down the standard norms for food articles based on scientific facts
- maintain and standardise the manufacturing processes, storage, distribution, import of food as per the framework of the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006
- ensure that the food distributed to the masses is safe and qualitative, and all eateries are certified by FSSAI
FSSAI Registration of Food Establishments
All food establishments must follow FSSAI standards in order to obtain FSSAI license, that is a proof and permission of being a legal distributor of cooked or processed foods sold commercially. In order to acquire the license, any food and culinary setup must apply for FSSAI registration.
Steps for FSSAI Registration
Step 1: Visit the FSSAI website – http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in. Check your eligibility criteria based on your business turnover.
If your turnover is:
- up to 12 lakh – you are eligible for a basic license
- up to 20 crore – you are eligible for a state license
- over 20 crores – you are eligible for a central license
Step 2: Once you have identified which license you are eligible for, create an account by filling the required information along with a valid phone number and email address.
Step 3: You will receive an SMS or Email confirmation once your account has been created. Log in to start the registration process by clicking here: https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx.
- Your account will be valid for 30 days only, post which it will be automatically deactivated. You must register for the FSSAI license within 30 days of account creation.
- Complete the registration in one go. If left incomplete, you will be required to start the process all over again.
Step 4: Save the form and take its print. Then, submit.
Step 5: Once submitted, you will receive a reference number. Save it, as it will come handy while tracking the progress of your FSSAI license registration.
Step 6: Submit the printed application form to the regional or state authority along with all the supportive documents within 15 days from the day of online submission.
Benefits of FSSAI Registration
- Increased consumer trust: Customers have become more alert about the quality of food they consume and aware about their food choices. They have started taking food safety standards seriously. Having the FSSAI license can build trust among your customers and also help increase your customer base.
- FSSAI logo advantage: The FSSAI logo is seen as a mark of validity and reassures customers that the food they are consuming is of superior quality. Once you receive the licence, you are free to display the FSSAI logo on your products. This gives your brand a better stand over food operators who don’t have accreditation from FSSAI, thereby helping you build your brand image.
- Assistance in business expansion: The FSSAI license can assist you in establishing your name and eligibility while heading in a new direction, thereby making it easier for you to apply for business expansion loans, whenever the need arises.